Tuesday, February 27, 2007

To cast or not to cast...is it nobler to blog into the depths of the unread internet?

So really it should come as no surprise after reading my last post that the idea of doing a Podcast was weighing heavily on me. Should I? Shouldn't I? I embraced the idea for a bit and decided to at least do some brainstorming and here's what I came up with.

If I were to podcast it would be an offshoot of this blog. So name is easy "The Dice Hate Me". Enough said and step one very easily taken care of.

If I were to podcast I wouldn't want it to be another one of those where it's just this one guy you listen to for an hour or more who drones on and on about this or that. I also didn't want to recreate Luke's awesome "Happy Happy Board Game Love-In" podcast. So I could do one of those where you got multiple people on the show. The first thought was Skype. That'd be the easiest as I'm lazy and don't really want to hang out with my friends unless we are gaming and chances are good if I went to my friends house to or vice versa to create a segment for the podcast we'd end up gaming and scrape the damn podcast...so that'd be doomed to failure. Next thought was once I figured out what I wanted my segments to be I could assign them to a few friends...each friend records their segment and sends it to me and I can sort of be the anchor man as it were and put these segments together to form one podcast. Yeah that would be how I'd do it...

...If I were to podcast I'd want enjoyable and innovative segments. I also didn't want a very patterned podcast. Some casts I've listened to have the exact same segments each show and are laid out in the exact same order. I was planning for a 1 hour show and each show would have a different lineup of the segments I was planning on. So now comes the task...WHAT would those segments be? So I started giving brain cells over to that. I came up with I thought was a nice range of segments, both humorous ones that would allow my personality to flow through and more focused real gaming segments. Here's what I came up with, steal as you feel:

•Reviews
Meh seemed like an evil necessity. Not that I minded I think me and some of my friends could have done this one nicely and made interesting reviews.

•Games you don't know
An attempt to expose some of the lesser known or older titles are get overlooked but are still great games.

•Print & Play
I believe in this form of game publishing and have printed out, laminated and played several games that I thought were decent enough for me to spend my time on.

•Why you shouldn't be listening to this
A short segment where I would highlight (kinda like I did with HHBGLI last post) a podcast about gaming that I feel is MORE worthy to be listened to than the one the listener is currently listening to. :)

•Games as debilitating and possibly lethal disease
Paying homage to Luke and his HHBGLI this segment would be a hybrid of his "Slag of the Week" and his "Board Games As Movie Stars". I'd take a game I really don't like and compare it to a debilitating and possibly lethal disease. (See this is one of the FUNNY segments people.)

•Who would win in a fight (Ameritrash Vs. Eurosnoot)
Pair 'em up, lace the gloves on 'em and let 'em beat the loving shit out of each other and see which game stands at the end of the contest. This would be a humorous take on comparing these styles of games. Of course NO consideration would be given to balancing the two games...in the end one of the games would have to have throughly trounced the other...and next time maybe it's teammate would be able to avenge it! Silly I know.

•Important rules that we missed
Seems like there's always some games that you miss a rule...truth is I've played games many times by said missed or wrong rule. This would be a short segment talking about the game, the rule missed, and the repercussions of that rule having been missed and how the game is playing now that we know the rule.

•Man on the street
Here is a segment idea I've actually given to podcasters and no one uses so FUCK THEM I would certainly do it on my cast. I'd generate a list of upcoming MotS topics. Listeners could e-mail me with their thoughts on one of the upcoming topics. If I liked it we'd talk and record them...Skype or whatever but it would literally be putting the LISTENERS on my show and not just me mentioning their name.

•Examining a Franchinse
The world of designer board games has changed over the last 4 or 5 years. No more does a designer put out a game then start working on a totally new game. Nope, now you play a game and instantly start thinking about....the expansions that are going to come for this game...or the offshoot games. This segment would look at an entire line of games that are all from the same core and cull out the useless from the prime.

•Bits & Pieces
My adult natured segment...Bits & Pieces would be for the guys. What games can you play with your significant other, let her win and how to get a pieces of ass out of doing just that! :)

I had my Segments, my title and my plan for implementation. I thought I was ready but one important factor was still missing. WILL. Just like with this Blog I realized that I probably wouldn't be dedicated to it and wouldn't get casts out in any kind of timely manner. In addition creating a podcast is significantly more work than blogging. So fuck that! After all that mental work I decided to scrap the who damned idea of doing a stupid podcast.

Still some of those segments were good ideas.

Now the thought is to incorporate them here into TDHM. As I feel like doing something inane that no one will ever bother to read anyway well now I've got some ideas...I can pick one of those topics and blog it here for all you no one's to read!

If perchance someone is stopping by on some rare occasion to see if I've added anything maybe you'll start seeing some of these.

Maybe.

Until next time...
THoiA

No comments: